FDK HOME
WELCOME TO THE FUN DUBBIN KRIMINALS FORUM.............COME ON IN AND SAY HELLO smile

PLEASE REGISTER TO ACCESS THE CHAT FORUM

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FDK HOME
WELCOME TO THE FUN DUBBIN KRIMINALS FORUM.............COME ON IN AND SAY HELLO smile

PLEASE REGISTER TO ACCESS THE CHAT FORUM
FDK HOME
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fdk and www.roastietoastie.com

MERRY FUCKIN XMAS FDK MO FO'S

You are not connected. Please login or register

Beetle Advice

+2
oilyT
substandard
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Beetle Advice Empty Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 2:26 pm

substandard

substandard

I have had a few VWs in the past, but never a Beetle. Anyhoo, my lovely wife expressed an interest in owning one recently so I took her to have a look at one this afternoon. Got to admit, I was more impressed with it than she was Very Happy and therefore thinking of getting it whether she wants it or not.
Question is, what's it worth???

It's a 1966, non runner, stood for at least 4 years, previously restored but now showing some signs of wear ie rusty gutters, flaky paint and a few dings. The interior looks very good and the engine turns by hand and has no backlash. Apparently, the only reason it doesn't run is a leaky fuel pipe by the tank. It's in a dry garage but we didn't have time to get it out and have a good look underneath.

What d'ya reckon?

2Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 3:42 pm

oilyT

oilyT

Go for it. Beetle Advice 730963

3Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 3:46 pm

Mario

Mario

You deffo want to be checking out the heater channels, rear body/susp mounts and rear bumper mounts for rot.
Also front inner wings, front wheel well and where the door pillar meets the heater channels.
Get the back seat up and have a looksee for rot under there.
I would also get underneath and check the framehead out.
Its hard to put a price on without really seeing it. im a bit of a tight git when it comes to buying stuff and with me being way oop in scotland prices are different.

As a non-runner and with it being sat for 4 yrs or so IMHO i wouldnt wanna pay more than 4 or 5 hundred notes.....but at the same time i would be looking to get it even cheaper.

if the owner isnt in the "scene" then you have a better chance of getting it cheaper and not have to worry about "scene tax".
you might be better off talking to Barry "oily t".

4Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 4:52 pm

substandard

substandard

Thanks guys.
Well I've done a bit of research myself and Practical Classics price guide for a condition 3 is £900. The chap is asking around £2000. :eek: I reckon he might be a little optimistic.

Another little question. Shouldn't a '66 have wide 5 stud pattern?

5Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 5:16 pm

Mario

Mario

substandard wrote:Thanks guys.
Well I've done a bit of research myself and Practical Classics price guide for a condition 3 is £900. The chap is asking around £2000. :eek: I reckon he might be a little optimistic.

Another little question. Shouldn't a '66 have wide 5 stud pattern?

HOW FUCKIN MUCH Beetle Advice 455759 Beetle Advice 455759 Beetle Advice 455759
NO MOT it dont run and its sat for 4 yrs and he wants TWO FUCKING GRAND for it??????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuck that.....go onto VZI car for sale forum loads of bugs on there...

yes 66 should have wide 5 Beetle Advice 77324

6Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 5:19 pm

DICKIE

DICKIE

A 66 is widely regarded as the best beetle for your bucks but that does seem a tad steep Beetle Advice 77324

7Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 5:22 pm

Mario

Mario

DICKIE wrote:A 66 is widely regarded as the best beetle for your bucks but that does seem a tad steep Beetle Advice 77324

2K is MORE than a tad steep tho Dickie....... Beetle Advice 455759 Beetle Advice 455759

i still stand by my 1st post.......4 to 5 hundred tops.......... Beetle Advice 16560

8Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 5:57 pm

DICKIE

DICKIE

Mario wrote:
DICKIE wrote:A 66 is widely regarded as the best beetle for your bucks but that does seem a tad steep Beetle Advice 77324

2K is MORE than a tad steep tho Dickie....... Beetle Advice 455759 Beetle Advice 455759

i still stand by my 1st post.......4 to 5 hundred tops.......... Beetle Advice 16560
It was a bit of a tongue in cheek remark mate Beetle Advice 16560
Plus we cant say whether its worth it or not without knowing the proper condition..
A vehicle thats been garaged for 4 years is going to have less wear and tear than one thats been constantly running on our salty shit roads.
It may need a small amount of work to get mot'd..
Like i said,a 66 is a very sort after model year Beetle Advice 16560
Some flakey paint,a ding and not moved for 4 years doesnt mean its a basket case

9Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 6:12 pm

adz

adz

i paid £900 for my 66 bug, with factory fit golde sunroof in working condition!

no test on it but flew through with 1small patch of welding.

i think 2000 is overpriced unless its only been let go cosmetically, and has a decent engine, decent interior, and its totally solid.

weird that its not wide 5, does it have front discs? that would make sense if theyd upgraded and didnt wana fork out the ridiculous amount of cash people want for wide5 discs!

go back and get pics Very Happy

10Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 6:23 pm

substandard

substandard

Just offered him a grand as long as we could get the engine running but he turned me down. Shame really cos I liked it alot. hohum....

11Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 6:32 pm

substandard

substandard

adz wrote:

weird that its not wide 5, does it have front discs?

I'm guessing it does. The garage was wedged with shit and it difficult to get to the front of the car.
You're right though, I should go back, pull it out and have a proper look. I just don't fancy another weldfest. Well, I don't mind paying a grand and taking a gamble but not 2 grand. I'd end up with a car worth 2 grand confused

12Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 8:06 pm

Mario

Mario

DICKIE wrote:
Mario wrote:

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek remark mate Beetle Advice 16560
Plus we cant say whether its worth it or not without knowing the proper condition..
A vehicle thats been garaged for 4 years is going to have less wear and tear than one thats been constantly running on our salty shit roads.
It may need a small amount of work to get mot'd..
Like i said,a 66 is a very sort after model year Beetle Advice 16560
Some flakey paint,a ding and not moved for 4 years doesnt mean its a basket case

Without seeing it you right mate it is hard to say a price.....
one things for sure.............if i get offered any more bugs im gonna start snapping them up and selling them darn sarf........i could be a millionaire this time next year Beetle Advice 46825 Beetle Advice 46825
thing is ive been offered a few over the past couple o years but had to turn em down cos ive no space left Beetle Advice 46825
but hopefully within the next 12 to 18 months the space situation will have been sorted.....................cos im moving house Beetle Advice 46825 Beetle Advice 46825
barn and outbuildings here i comes Beetle Advice 46825

13Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 8:08 pm

Mario

Mario

substandard wrote:Just offered him a grand as long as we could get the engine running but he turned me down. Shame really cos I liked it alot. hohum....

from what im reading, it seems to me he thinks he has summin special on his hands.................unfortunately just cos its a bug (or vee dub) dont make it worth lots o dosh......

Good luck with what ever you decide fella Beetle Advice 77324

14Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 8:22 pm

DICKIE

DICKIE

Mario wrote:
substandard wrote:Just offered him a grand as long as we could get the engine running but he turned me down. Shame really cos I liked it alot. hohum....

from what im reading, it seems to me he thinks he has summin special on his hands.................unfortunately just cos its a bug (or vee dub) dont make it worth lots o dosh......

Im afraid it does mate,or else our old shit work vans would be about 2/300 quid.
In general car terms they aint worth fuck all really but its a huge sort after scene which makes them worth way more than they are. Beetle Advice 77324

15Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 8:43 pm

Mario

Mario

DICKIE wrote:
Mario wrote:

Im afraid it does mate,or else our old shit work vans would be about 2/300 quid.
In general car terms they aint worth fuck all really but its a huge sort after scene which makes them worth way more than they are. Beetle Advice 77324

yeh but my van is worth millions mate..............................

i mean just look at the custom roof line i have on it at the moment Beetle Advice 988956 Beetle Advice 988956 Beetle Advice 46825 Beetle Advice 46825 Beetle Advice 46825

16Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 9:04 pm

substandard

substandard

Ha!

Well if he can get his 2 grand for it then fair play to him Very Happy I'll be waiting with my grand.

Thing is though, he reckons it wouldn't take much to get it back on the road which begs the question, why the fuck hasn't he done it??? He says he has an attachment to it as he's had it so long, so he couldn't possibly sell it so cheap. If it was mine and I wanted to sell it, I'd get it running, bang an MOT on it and see if I could get £2500 or maybe £3000. It does need a respray. Though I would run it as it is Very Happy

17Beetle Advice Empty Re: Beetle Advice 10/5/2010, 9:47 pm

dicky mint

dicky mint

dunno if its any use but there is one for sale as you leave worcester on the a38. its quite a good looker, paints not my cup of tea but its a good job from what i can see. its a sort of pinky/white flip by the looks.
if any good next time im round that way i'll get some piccys.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum