FDK HOME
WELCOME TO THE FUN DUBBIN KRIMINALS FORUM.............COME ON IN AND SAY HELLO smile

PLEASE REGISTER TO ACCESS THE CHAT FORUM

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FDK HOME
WELCOME TO THE FUN DUBBIN KRIMINALS FORUM.............COME ON IN AND SAY HELLO smile

PLEASE REGISTER TO ACCESS THE CHAT FORUM
FDK HOME
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fdk and www.roastietoastie.com

MERRY FUCKIN XMAS FDK MO FO'S

You are not connected. Please login or register

mk2 Golf 1600 petrol - won't start!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

H

H
MOSTLY LOST

I'll be honest, I don't really know much about petrols - most of my own stuff that I've spannered has been diesel, or it's just worked... now I'm a bit stuck.

It's been off the road and ran fine before, more than a year ago though Rolling Eyes

Now it makes all the right noises but just turns over, no sparks - and I've broken one of the HT leads too :mad: Rolling Eyes

TBH I'm really gutted - I don't want to spend loads of money getting it running as I was hoping it would just skip through an MOT, but if it doesn't I didn't want to have spent on it up front - it's right on the cusp of being a totally disposable car, if it failed I'm gonna sell it or break it.

So where do I start diagnosing it - I've got a mutimeter and I know how to use it carzzy lol

Toastie

Toastie
modmin

well i spose the first fing is to check you aint nocked any wires off the coil , and then if there power to it

H

H
MOSTLY LOST

If the key is on should there just be a constant 12v on one of the little wires then?

Toastie

Toastie
modmin

ye i recon so

Toastie

Toastie
modmin

then if there is take the ht lead of the middle of the dizzy cap . and try and see if that will spark to ground when you turn it over .

dicky mint

dicky mint

H wrote:If the key is on should there just be a constant 12v on one of the little wires then?

had this with my mk2 polo and turned out to be the distributor. but check the dizzy cap and rotor arm for cracks first.
also check the coil and all its leads.
also there was a small ignition module thing on the bulkhead i checked that too. on the polo it was near the wiper motor.
if its any of these ive got spares kicking around so your welcome to try them. pretty sure ive got a set of leads somewhere too
if the system is similar ive got a polo manual that covers the testing gumpf, mine was a 91 so prob quite similar.
let me know as im heading down the m5 in the morning and could drop em off on the way there or back depends how my jobs run mk2 Golf 1600 petrol - won't start! 46825 .

Toastie

Toastie
modmin

could even just be damp in the dizzy cap . wd40 and a wipe out is erth a go first

dicky mint

dicky mint

TOASTIE wrote:could even just be damp in the dizzy cap . wd40 and a wipe out is erth a go first

^^^^^wot toastie says^^^^^ mk2 Golf 1600 petrol - won't start! 46825

H

H
MOSTLY LOST

Kids have had my meter :mad:

Used a test lamp and have (12 ish?) volts on one coil lead and less on the other - can't now crank it for sparks as it's parked outside the sleeping baby's window carzzy

H

H
MOSTLY LOST

dicky mint wrote:
H wrote:If the key is on should there just be a constant 12v on one of the little wires then?

had this with my mk2 polo and turned out to be the distributor. but check the dizzy cap and rotor arm for cracks first.
also check the coil and all its leads.
also there was a small ignition module thing on the bulkhead i checked that too. on the polo it was near the wiper motor.
if its any of these ive got spares kicking around so your welcome to try them. pretty sure ive got a set of leads somewhere too
if the system is similar ive got a polo manual that covers the testing gumpf, mine was a 91 so prob quite similar.
let me know as im heading down the m5 in the morning and could drop em off on the way there or back depends how my jobs run mk2 Golf 1600 petrol - won't start! 46825 .

Mines an 89 - maybe very similar smile

I'm going to try and repair my lead like a large moustachio'd Cuban mk2 Golf 1600 petrol - won't start! 679306

dicky mint

dicky mint

hows it goin H?
got a spare couple of hours tommorow if you want a hand mk2 Golf 1600 petrol - won't start! 85197

H

H
MOSTLY LOST

Haven't touched it - bits haven't come yet.

Off to M-I-L tomorrow, but thanks for the offer hug

Gal

Gal

Get a new set of cheapo leads. Check rotor arm and dizzy cap. If fine make sure not damp

Checked to see if any fuel is getting to the carb? Does the fuel pump even switch on?
Old petrol wont do it any good either so either put more in or chuck a shot of redex in it.
Spark plugs not shagged?
Coil got power to it?
Checked fuses?

Do you have a compression tester you can use/borrow?

dicky mint

dicky mint

is it makin brum brum noises yet bud? mk2 Golf 1600 petrol - won't start! 518679

H

H
MOSTLY LOST

Yes mate, it's fixed smile

Rad's ignition module did the business and I fixed my broken HT lead like a proper pikey lol

Just got a couple of bits to grab off Ben and it'll be time to see Chicky smile

dicky mint

dicky mint

coolio mk2 Golf 1600 petrol - won't start! 77324

H

H
MOSTLY LOST

Yeah, I'm chuffed - the module went on and it fired straight away Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum